Journalism Work Experience
Simplify Compliance: Middleton, Mass. (January 2017 – present)
HealthLeaders Media editor (October 2017 – present)
- Manage production of daily and weekly newsletters targeting healthcare executives
- Curate and publish articles on Drupal-based website
- Interpret traffic data from Google Analytics
HCPro safety editor (January 2017 – October 2017)
- Managed production of weekly and monthly newsletters targeting healthcare safety and compliance professionals
- Covered infection control, workplace violence prevention, regulatory updates from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and more.
The Christian Science Monitor: Boston, Mass. (September 2016 – January 2017)
Rapid response team intern
- Wrote multiple short dispatches per day, maintaining the Monitor's coolheaded diction while optimizing for an online readership
Medill National Security Zone: Washington, D.C. (June 2016 – August 2016)
Master's candidate reporter
- Investigated cybersecurity threats to U.S. power grid on a seven-member team, reporting from Washington state and Washington, D.C.
- Published investigation under freelance contract with US News
- Reported from Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia with McClatchy's D.C. newsroom and The State newspaper in South Carolina.
Medill News Service: Chicago, Ill. (January 2016 – June 2016)
Master's candidate reporter
- Reported from Pakistan on private gun ownership, as part of grant funded by U.S. State Department
- Covered commodities and derivatives news and general business stories
- Volunteered to coordinate online publication of student articles on Society of American Business Editors and Writers conference.
- Reported from courthouse when judge ordered release of Chicago police fatally shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Journal & Courier: Lafayette, Ind. (April 2014 – September 2015)
Crime & justice reporter
- Wrote daily and enterprise stories about civil and criminal justice proceedings in state and federal courts, regularly collaborating with colleagues whenever beats intersected
- Won eight professional journalism awards, including two "Story of the Year" honors for a two-part series on local perceptions of race and criminality
- Served as the J&C's newsroom representative in Gannett's delegation to the Investigative Reporters & Editors conference in Philadelphia
Frankfort Times: Frankfort, Ind. (March 2013 – April 2014)
- Covered four public school districts, community events and spot news for the county's sole daily newspaper
- Won second place in non-deadline news reporting from the Indiana Associated Press Media Editors competition for uncovering ethically dubious employment practices by the Clinton County EMS director
The Christian Century magazine: Chicago, Ill. (October 2012 – February 2013)
Online editorial intern
- Monitored the magazine's contributing blogger network for the latest posts worth syndicating, occasionally contributing a blog of my own
- Reformatted articles from 1990s print editions, publishing them to online archive
The Sojourn student newspaper: Marion, Ind. (October 2010 – April 2012)
News editor (May 2011 – April 2012)
- Won first place in opinion journalism from Indiana Collegiate Press Association / Hoosier State Press Association for "Kirk Cameron: The wrong kind of World Changer," disagreeing with the university's decision to honor the actor and evangelist with a bronze bust in the library.
- Oversaw writing and production of a three-page weekly news section
Staff writer (October 2010 – April 2011)
- Demonstrated a significant discrepancy between posted menu prices and the cost of meal plans, mandatory for most students.
- Covered campus news for the weekly student newspaper and website
Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism
Master of Science in Journalism, 2016
Indiana Wesleyan University, Division of Communication and Theatre
Bachelor of Science in Media Communication, 2012
- Journalism minor
- Mary C. Dodd Honors Program
L.A. Film Studies Center
One-semester immersion-learning program in digital video production, 2010
Lakeview Christian High School
Indiana Core 40 with Academic Honors diploma, 2008
- Eli Lilly Community Scholarship recipient
Memberships & Certifications
Poynter-Gannett News University, training and professional development
- Reporter certificate, 2016
- Producer certificate, 2017
- News assistant/specialist certificate, 2017
National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting (NICAR), mini data journalism bootcamp, 2016.
Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), member.
National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association (NLGJA), member.
Honors & Awards
The Great Chicago Migration Myth. A data-driven two-part series published by the Journal & Courier in October 2014.
- Story of the Year, Indiana Society of Professional Journalists
- Story of the Year, Hoosier State Press Association
- First Place non-deadline story or series, Indiana SPJ
- First Place news without deadline pressure, HSPA
- First Place public service journalism, Gannett annual awards of excellence
- First place in First Amendment journalism, Indiana AP Media Editors
- Annual media award, National Low Income Housing Coalition
One dead in property dispute. Rushing to the scene of a homicide, the J&C engaged its online audience in real time using a variety of relatively social media and live video tools, turning around a traditional story as well.
- Second Place news coverage under deadline pressure, Hoosier State Press Association
Rules bent for EMS director: Domestic partner gets overtime on Balcezak's watch An investigation revealed shady behavior on the part of local government employees. Frankfort Times
- Second Place in non-deadline news reporting, Indiana AP Media Editors
Kirk Cameron: The wrong kind of World Changer An op-ed published by the Indiana Wesleyan University student newspaper, The Sojourn, proved controversial on campus.
- First Place in opinion writing, Indiana Collegiate Press Association
Be sure to check out my selection of clips.